Before you begin, you will need to give your consent below:
CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN A RESEARCH STUDY
THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO BOOTH SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
Principal Investigator: Nicholas Epley
We are asking you to participate in a research study. This form will give you some information about the study. Please read the form carefully and feel free to ask any questions that you may have.
A. Project Description
1. In this session, you will view several videos or hear several audio clips and will be asked to determine whether you believe people are telling the truth or lying.
2. The total estimated time to complete is approximately 5-10 minutes.
3. The research is being conducted with the goal of publication in academic journals and presentation at academic conferences.
B. Risks and Benefits
1. Your participation does not involve any physical risk or emotional risk to you beyond the risks of daily life.
2. You have the right to withdraw your consent or discontinue participation at any time for any reason. Your decision to withdraw will not involve any penalty or loss of benefits to which you are entitled.
To secure the confidentiality of your responses, your name and other identifying information will be removed from all answers. All data collected will be analyzed in aggregate form.
To ensure documentation of professional and scientific work, the data collected will be stored for 5 years following publication of this research. All data will be kept in a locked drawer in a locked room or in a password protected computer that is kept secure. Data access will be limited to the Principal Investigator and Student Researcher. All data will be destroyed responsibly after the retention period. Your privacy will be maintained in all published and written data resulting from this study. Your name or other identifying information will not be used in our reports or published papers.
1. If you have any questions or concerns about this study, you may contact Professor Nicholas Epley at (firstname.lastname@example.org), or by phone at 773-834-1266.
2. If you have any questions about your rights as a participant in this research, you may contact the following office at the University of Chicago:
Social and Behavioral Science Institutional Review Board
University of Chicago
5835 South Kimbark – Judd 333
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone: (773) 834-7835, Fax: (773) 834-8700
F. Subject rights
Participation in this study is voluntary, and you are free to leave the study at any time without penalty.